[Harp-L] Should the blues scale be revised?

The Blues Scale is typically described thusly, in degrees from the tonic: 1, 3b, 4, 5b, 5, 7b.

What about the natural 3rd? Why isn't it part of the scale? It seems that there are good reasons to include it in the scale.

1) The natural 3rd is commonly used in blues. For instance, a Boogie does not have a flatted 3rd but a natural 3rd, and yet is considered blues. In fact, in early blues the flatted 3rd was hardly used. The natural 3rd was far more common.

2) The natural third is part of the chord triad. How could it/why would it be eliminated when playing 12 bar blues?

3) The flatted 3rd anyway tends to resolve to the natural 3rd, which means that often when the flatted 3rd is played we'll also find a natural 3rd.

Since a scale is defined as “a group of musical notes that provides material for part or all of a musical work” (Wikipedia), would it not make sense to include the natural 3rd in the scale, since it's part and parcel of Blues?

If the natural 3rd is included, would we need to drop a note to keep it hexatonic? (e.g., the natural 4th?)

-Z