Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki ProMaster Video Up (valved ProMaster inquiry)

Paul Bowering wrote:
Would this type of harp allow for more slide guitar like phrasing and playing? I am really interested in trying one, but don't know if I can go without the extra >pitches I can get with over bends.
So for those on the list...is it possible to bend a valved harp to those notes????
Possible; yes, but difficult. I waffled between valves and overblows for some time before finally settling on overblows. I found valves great for bending down from, or sliding up to the natural note. They're very musical and sound good. I wasn't so pleased with valved bends for getting the accidentals. At this range and beyond they start sounding like duck calls. Basically, the deeper the bend the worse the tone. Also, trying to hit them without bending to them requires precise embouchure and pressure and they're difficult to sustain. Still, PT for one has shown it can be done. You (and everybody) should at least give one a try. They just might suit your specific style and skill set.
I use the valved instrument to great effect. I find them particularly nice for accidentals, and I have no trouble playing any changes a tune can throw at me. With my C major harp I frequently play in C minor and Eb major. The key for me is to play very lightly. I play overblows as well, but I still prefer the valves because I can slur and smear from or to the bent note, which I have not figured how to do with overblows.

I am certainly not PT, but I can get a very pleasing tone all the time. I do not get the duck calls. The key is embouchure and playing lightly. The former you just have to develop for yourself. An Amp takes care of the latter.

-LM