Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki ProMaster Video Up (valved ProMaster inquiry)

Larry Marks wrote:
  I am certainly not PT, but I can get a very pleasing tone all the time.
  I do not get the duck calls. The key is embouchure and playing lightly.
  The former you just have to develop for yourself. An Amp takes care of
  the latter.

    -LM

  Hi Larry & Paul
  I can play my valved harmonicas as loud, soft, hard or easy as I care too. Like any other harmonica, it's all about the reed setup. Valved reed setup, in my opinion, is drastically different than conventional thinking on today's un-valved harmonicas.

  I do agree however that embouchre is very important. That, and bending conventional draw notes to PITCH is what needs to be practiced.

  I started playing valved harmonicas without any knowledge of whether or not it was difficult. All I knew was that it allowed me to get the missing notes in the chromatic scale and since I could blow bend on the upper octave already, it just seemed like a do-able thing.

  I started doing this in 2003 right after SPAH was held in Dallas.

  Examples of my style and Brendan Power playing half valved chromatic can be heard on our new  Duet CD "Back To Back"

  Thanks, and glad there are a few of us out there.

  Hope to see some of you at SPAH next month

  PT Gazell
  pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  www.ptgazell.com
  www.myspace.com/ptgazell