RE: [Harp-L] how do I become a real pro?

> Wanting to become famous is the wrong thing to focus on.
>
> It seems to be a disease that started in the 80's when everyone was getting
> their 15 minutes.
>
> Doing something "in order to become famous" diminishes what it is you are
> attempting (music, harmonica, painting, writing), as the goal is recognition by
> a public without depth (mainstream majority). You'll have to pander to the
> lowest common denominators rather than seek a highest personal commitment to
> your art.
>
> Those in the past that we look towards, in the harmonica community, have
> mostly been people with a fire inside them that needed to be expressed - without
> concerns for becoming famous. Most, in their lifetime, found limited fame and
> fortune. A few were able to rise above keeping their personal integrity -
> Muddy Waters, BB King for example. However, I can't believe that Muddy or BB
> sat around in the formative years trying to figure out how to become
> superstars. They spent that time and energy on playing the voice within>themselves at every opportunity they had.

> The Iceman

Excellent, sir.  Well said!

You could also argue that expressing the fire within is a darn sight more likely to make you a happy human being than a quest for fame for fame's sake.   Do what you do do best, enjoy and don't give up the day job just yet!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

http://www.searchgamesbox.com