Re: [Harp-L] I don't want to be a harp player!

1) NOVELTY INSTRUMENT: S/he is playing THAT on the HARMONICA! If JS
Bach, Archie Shepp or the Beatles had wanted to hear their melodies on the harmonica ever think they would have scored it in? Also, there is a risk of letting oneself be patronised and becoming 'the best harmonica player' in the area, or who plays jazz or whatever, rather than aspiring to be the best musician.
(2) MAKE IT SOUND LIKE ANYTHING: Is THAT HARMONICA! That's amazing!
(3) COPY THE MASTERS: You sound JUST LIKE Little Walter/ Larry Adler/ Sonny Terry/ Howard Levy etc etc...

There's alot of truth to what you say, but let's not forget the unique "voice" of our
instrument. Where I play out at gigs and jams, I'm not playing for folks who are knowlegible
about the harmonica.... I'm not playing for you guys--other harp players, so there is no
expectation or assumptions about what a harp can or should do. Its my voice, my way.

For me its about being musical- listening to the rest of the band, making the whole sound
better and ALWAYS letting the vocals take center stage. The audience may recognize your abilities
(or lack of) by your solos, but its the better musicians on stage who appreciate what you do and invite
you to sit in and come back for more, not because you sound like anybody else but because you
make the band sound better.

Dan