Re: [Harp-L] I don't want to be a harp player!

Mike
I play guitar too and by now am about equally good on both instruments - intermediate, don't practice enough, self-taught, fond of unconventional tonalities. I have gone through periods of hating the guitar in the same sort of way as you describe for harmonica and have largely abandoned electric playing (of either instrument) because it is far too easy to play derivative cliched rubbish but with great tone - boy there is nothing like playing easy hendrix licks through a load of effects to make one feel good - but it is not really musicianship is it?

Being critical of harmonica is good. It is an under developed instrument (just as the sax or guitar was 150 years ago). It is easy for players, even very good ones, to fall into some traps, which I think is why some people turn to other instruments for influence:
Traps
(1) NOVELTY INSTRUMENT: S/he is playing THAT on the HARMONICA! If JS Bach, Archie Shepp or the Beatles had wanted to hear their melodies on the harmonica ever think they would have scored it in? Also, there is a risk of letting oneself be patronised and becoming 'the best harmonica player' in the area, or who plays jazz or whatever, rather than aspiring to be the best musician.
(2) MAKE IT SOUND LIKE ANYTHING: Is THAT HARMONICA! That's amazing!
(3) COPY THE MASTERS: You sound JUST LIKE Little Walter/ Larry Adler/ Sonny Terry/ Howard Levy etc etc...

Of course, one problem is that 1-3 are often more commercially viable for harmonica players than just making music.

To me good playing is partly when the instrument can become inaudible to the listener. I don't have to think about it being a guitar, or sax or whatever, I think about the music. Nobody makes comments 1-3 about Wayne Shorter or Bill Frisell, or indeed Louis Armstrong or Barney Kessell, or indeed Ygwigmy Malmenstein or Ronnie Earl.

The greatest instrumentalists offer music, not music; played on a ... One aspect of this is to nail whatever they are playing, so it is impossible, at least for a moment, to imagine it being played differently.

Richard Hunter playing When Johnny Comes Marching Home is a good harmonica example of this. I say because he says he nails it on his website, so cynical me thought "I bet he doesn't" but he does. This level of quality is quite rare (and very rare on solo harmonica).

When I listen to even the greatest harmonica players, I feel only glimmers of them transcending the instrument. How many harmonic riffs and techniques can you imagine sax or guitar players wanting to steal? There are a few, but not yet enough. How many harmonica players get into bands because of their playing, not because of the instrument they play? Howard Levy and Gregoire Maret (Pat Metheny Band) certainly do.

Richard