Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Joy wrote:

Nope! He's not "joshing" anyone.

I was making a pun. Since his name is Josh, I just couldn't resist. I DID notice that he has very advanced wording for such a young man. Kinda reminds me of our late son Chuck (who went on to a masters in Chem Eng. I think you have a smart boy there. Nurture it.

smo-joe

This kid is for real and he meant what he
said. Just ask his instructors, agents and manager. Making music is deeply
tied into his personal happiness. He likes performing and the stage. Now,
as his mom, I will share this much. Maybe some of you were like this as a
kid and will understand.

He was just describing yesterday to a group of kids he performed in front of
the feeling he gets playing it. They all thought he was weird. They were
all laughing at him saying they could play a harmonica, too, until he got up
there and they heard his music. He played perfectly for them. All the
girls sat their looking at each other with there jaws dropped open. He sure
showed them! The boys were speechless and a couple of adults had tears in
their eyes saying they had forgotten how soulful and melodic the song could
be. They had heard it many times but on that diatonic harmonic it is
something special. Is that not what playing music and blues is about,
sharing a glimpse of the soul?

Needless to say, he has more girls wanting to be his girlfriend now than he
has time for. Besides, he only likes redheads. Kids are either mean to him
because of his talent or they flock to him and follow him around like the
Pied Piper. He tends to get lost in his music when he is playing and
oblivious to the rest of what is going on around him. He walks up and down
the streets of NYC playing that thing. It's soothes him.

He plays guitar and piano and banjo and is taking lessons, too. But
harmonica is his favorite instrument by far. That's why he wanted me to
find a neck rack that would fit him right. It seems he wants to be a one
man band. He's really serious about that harmonica. He's an old soul.

Seriously, though, thanks to everyone for putting up videos. It's opened up
a whole other world of inspiration for him. We relocated our whole family
and made huge sacrifices just so he could pursue his passions in the right
environment.

We went to one bluegrass guy a year ago for his first (and last) lesson with
that man. The guy did not understand the kid and told him to come back when
he learned more songs. I wonder how many kids give up their musical ability
because of teachers like that? Josh is way better than him now. We brought
him to NY and he was lucky to get connected with the guys that could really
guide him in the right direction and teach him theory (that began the need
for the Chromatic). Some of you probably even know of them.

Maybe I should upload another video on YouTube later today showing him
playing the blues. Most of what is on there right now just shows him
practicing for family/friends back home to see what he's up to and of him
before he started with his harmonica instructor. He's even got the "blues"
hat that he wears just about everywhere. He's got a long way to go and much
to learn but he is one determined kid. He's determined to go all the way
with it and practices hours and hours on it.

Okay, that's more info than ya'll needed to know. But, the kid does enjoy
the posts I let him read here as well as listening to all the different
artists and styles. Who knows, maybe there are other kids out there like
him. He started playing when he was 6. He'll be 8 next month. As for Josh
he says he's "a work in progress!"

Josh's Mom