Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Overdrive Video; Lapel Mics

Brendan -

Lapel mics are usually (though not always) omnidirectional , but there are several clip-on instrument mics that are highly directional. These are the small mics you clipped on to saxophone bells, accordions, bodhrans, etc. For awhile I was using one strapped to my wrist and aimed at my hand cup from about two inches away, in order to get a totally acoustic sound while being able to move freely onstage. You can see it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfxIDPqb00s

In the clip I'm deliberately low in the mix because I'm part of the ensemble and not a soloist
Some people don't even notice that there's a mic and wonder how they can hear me.

You could cup a similar mic between your fingers for a more compressed sound. Distortion would more likely come from post processing as instrument mics are designed to withstand a lot of sound pressure.

Volume control on a mic that small is unlikely, but you could use a belt pack with volume control.

Some small instrument mics that might serve:

Audix ADX20-i (the one I have)

AKG 416, 516, 517, 520 series

Shure MX184 and 185, and Beta 98H/C

Winslow