Re: [Harp-L] Re: Good Old Days of SPAH & Good New Days of SPAH

Actually, Buzz and I never got within 20 feet of the stage. I think Welton saw us coming and decided that discretion was the better part of being a total jerk and  vamoosed (I didn't know about the Leone connection, though later that night on Beale Street we heard tales of a madman trying to crash all the stages and insisting he was the best harmonica player in the world). A few months later Kim Field told me that Welton claimed to be  studying the video of the incident (though SPAH never officially released any video from that evening, despite a mindblowing duet between Don Les and Uwe Penzoldt, the 11-year old German kid who was channeling Don in a telepathic musical seance) so that he could figure out who those guys were and deliver them a suitable comeuppance. Ahhh, happy days . . .

--- On Wed, 8/6/08, Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:53 PM, Buddha wrote:
> but things got better as the
> years progressed. I think Memphis was one of the best conventions and
> I think that was the tipping point for the "blues players" to
finally
> be accepted. Danny Walton was there that year and went crazy during
> his set. Winslow and Buzz were the ones that kicked him off the stage
> and I think that's we cemented our approval.

I was acting master at arms because Paul Metris doesn't move too
fast, and I made sure Welton stayed in his dressing room and then
left the building. I had to miss Charley Musselwhite. Then I walked
Mr Danny Welton and his girl friend down to Beale St. and turned them
loose.