Re: [Harp-L] Re: Stainless Steel Harmonica Reeds

Hello John,

As far as I know, Douglas Tate never used Stainless Steel reeds, though he had always hoped to try them, and it was his belief that they would provide a more stable and durable reed platform. It took the rebirth of Seydel with the strong backing of their new investors, to fuel the huge scope of work and expense involved in bringing this new reed material to the harmonica world. Possibly Douglas spoke about a Stainless Steel _comb_ (rather than reeds) at that '97 SPAH convention? His personal chromatic used before the Renaissance had Hohner reedplates and brass reeds, and the Renaissance also did. Seydel has now created their own brass reeds for the Renaissance.

Douglas and Seydel were introduced in 2005, by mutual friends, who were aware of Douglas terminal illness and also of the rebirth that was taking place in Seydel. Douglas became very interested in the quality and character of the Seydel company and people, and was too ill to travel, so Seydel's new management and Karl Pucholt, the chief engineer, came to England to meet with Douglas.

Those present recount the joy in watching the two engineers (Douglas and Karl) communicate (in different languages...) over days of detailed investigation into the Renaissance. A mutual agreement was reached (not a sale), as Douglas became convinced of the engineering quality behind Seydel, and Seydel became convinced that they could adequately carry out Douglas's wishes.

I hope this helps,

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

MilwHarmonica@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello, Dave and Rupert.
I'm hoping that you talented and knowledgeable professional customizers can answer these questions about the SS reeds of Seydel.
What is Douglas Tate's historical connection with Seydel?
I know that Douglas and Bobbie Giordano sold the Rennaisance chromatic company to Seydel several years ago, when Douglas was near death. At the Rennaisance harmonica's SPAH Convention introduction in 1997, Douglas had said that he had been using stainless steel reeds on his chromatics for nearly 40 years, with no reed fatigue and no maintenance (no re-gapping, no re-alignment, no re-tuning done, none needed). As we know, he was a superb harmonica player and won several harmonica contests in his musical career.
Where did Doglas Tate get the SS reeds for his early harmonicas? Did he work quietly with Seydel, or did he have them made on his own?
Thanks for your reply.
John Broecker

**************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos. (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)