[Harp-L] Re: Stainless Steel Harmonica Reeds

Hello, Dave and Rupert.

I'm hoping that you talented and knowledgeable professional  customizers can
answer these questions about the SS reeds of Seydel.

What is Douglas Tate's historical connection with Seydel?

I know that Douglas and Bobbie Giordano sold the Rennaisance chromatic
company to Seydel several years ago, when Douglas was near death.

At the Rennaisance harmonica's SPAH Convention introduction in 1997,  Douglas
had said that he had been using stainless steel reeds on his chromatics  for
nearly 40 years, with no reed fatigue and no maintenance (no re-gapping, no
re-alignment, no re-tuning done, none needed). As we  know, he was a superb
harmonica player and won several harmonica contests in his musical career.

Where did Doglas Tate get the SS reeds for his early harmonicas? Did he  work
quietly with Seydel, or did he have them made on his own?

Thanks for your reply.

John Broecker

listings at AOL Autos.