[Harp-L] Subject: Re: "Passion" in music/Midori Again/By the Way

Midori Goto is currently a professor at the USC Thornton School of  Music.
She records exclusively with Sony.  Her string of amazing 13  classical CD's
can be read about at this link (her website):

_http://www.gotomidori.com/english/_ (http://www.gotomidori.com/english/)

her 'Random musings' link at her site might educate some as to just how
passionate this young woman is about life and volunteerism, which in my humble
opinion clearly translates into her music.

I believe I'll listen to my own heart and feelings  about this still young
violinist's playing (who was only 14(!)  and had just begun her career in the
previously posted YouTube  videos)

....as well as those of others far more knowledgeable in the Classical  field
about just how 'captivating is her lyricism', (one quote); 'her  phrasing and
coloration truly touch the heart' (another quote); 'A magnificent
performance of the concerto - passionate, lyrical, and distinguished by enormous  dash
and aplomb' (yet another); 'The sheer beauty and intimacy of Midori's playing
are astonishing'  (another); and lastly -
'The tonal spectrum Midori  produces is a veritable collage of the best
sounds ever brought to this music.  The intonation is as accurate as exists, the
bow technique is under perfect  control, the left-hand pizzicato resembles a
machine gun, the energy level is  overwhelming and the lyricism is captivating.
... a listening experience that  transcends all expectation'.....

...so, not for anything, but I rather think I'd listen to my OWN  feelings
about her music being 'passionate' and not Laughlin's unknown Cello  teacher.

Does anyone here really care about said cello teacher's  disdain?  I
certainly don't.  I mentioned Midori as a female  counterpoint to Jimi Hendrix as
someone for ME to aim for...not to be dissed by  someone because they hang their
hat on what their 'cello teacher' has to say.  Talk about robotic!

Elizabeth