[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica podorythmie / Feet drumming and Harmonica Québec musi

Podorythmie, tapement des pieds, foot drumming - whatever you call it,
it is very much a part of traditional music in both French speaking and
Native communities in Canada.

Interesting--it's quite an effective form of rhythm, and the ones he plays are somewhat reminiscent of certain bodhran rhythms, at least to my ears, though there is some similarity to things such as Flamenco tap-rhythms (which is probably understandable due to the similar use of feet as percussion instruments).

I am aware that (much as in French speaking Louisiana) the one-row box in particular is more typical of Quebec accordion, but for some reason a one-man-band seems more humorous with a CBA, perhaps due to the size of the beast.

That said, I'm just amazed that anyone can play another instrument and a harmonica together at the same time, moreover do it well, which is obviously the case here.

I will say, however, that at least from the samples on his Myspace
site, André's harmonica playing seems more closely linked in its
inspiration and direction with that of another contemporary
haamronicist/podorythmist, Alain Lamontagne, than with traditional
québécois music or with the old-time players of that music.

So, would you say that this is a contemporary take on the traditional music (such as, say, Donald Black is a contemporary take on Scottish music) or is it something new which has little in common with traditional playing and styles? I certainly hear some strong blues harp influence in some of the phrasing (and one song in particular), but the melodies of most of the pieces have a feel which is very much reminiscent of what little I know of French-based folk music (both in Europe and North America).

Which is
fine; there's no reason not to take something from here, something from
over there, whatever appeals to you, and make something new with it.

Indeed not. That's what's fun about a lot of musicians, even those working within well defined traditions. I don't know the Quebec tradition well, but I certainly like what I heard of Monsieur Daneau's music on his website, so it would appear that he's succeeding (at least for me) in creating something of his own style.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'