Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica podorythmie / Feet drumming and Harmonica Québec musi

Podorythmie, tapement des pieds, foot drumming - whatever you call it,
it is very much a part of traditional music in both French speaking and
Native communities in Canada.

Chromatic accordion may be characteristic of Parisian music, but for
French Canadian music the traditional box would be diatonic, typically
either a one-row in D or a three-row in G-C-F. There is a tradition of
harmonica playing with fiddle and with accordion (sometimes all three)
with the harmonica reinforcing the accordion an octave higher or adding
chords and extra chordal rhythm to supplement a fiddle melody.

I will say, however, that at least from the samples on his Myspace
site, André's harmonica playing seems more closely linked in its
inspiration and direction with that of another contemporary
haamronicist/podorythmist, Alain Lamontagne, than with traditional
québécois music or with the old-time players of that music. Which is
fine; there's no reason not to take something from here, something from
over there, whatever appeals to you, and make something new with it.

Winslow