Re: [Harp-L] what is ODBG ? (no harp content)

On May 13, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Robert Koch free wrote:

I have a smile on my face too, Fernando... but I have to agree with Tom.
ODBG "Old Dead Black Guys" and "Old Dead Blues Guys" both sound a bit
..."disrespectful" to me.

Since I (unwillingly) started this in a previous post to the Iceman, let me make something clear to the list: I never intended to be disrespectfull to any one, and certainly not to Afro American blues artists, singers, musicians which I truley cherish and, for some, worship for what the music they have given me.

Well, 'I' knew that. I know your posts/writings and they have always been above reproach.

I understand the acronym I used has made some of you raise their eyebrows. I will not use it again.
That said, let's call a cat a cat. I don't mind if somebody calls me an old white guy. Koz I'm becoming old (56), I am white and I'm a guy. I would rather question somebody who would address me as a "time challenged caucasian male".
Disrespect sometimes hides behind slick language.

You betcha. I happen to have a book sitting on my coffee table right now entitled "A Century of Jazz". It just so happens that if you leaf through the over inch thick ream of pages, you will count approx 2/3rds (or more) of the entries/pictures/stories/clips/etc are about black musicians. Starting with minstrel, going through rag time, blues and dixieland. It isn't profiling, it's the law of averages. Most of the greats WERE black. Most were ALREADY old before I was even born (1942), and (unfortunately) most ALL of them are now dead.

It stands to reason that inasmuch as you (being from Reuters) would have to/WANT to keep the highest standards and ideals of journalism, you really have no reason to cast aspersions at anyone, no matter what their ethnicity, creed, religion, culture.

Is it a fact (maybe disputable, maybe not) that black musicians of the past were the driving force behind American musics?. If one were to check MY particular tastes. one would find that, almost exclusively, I prefer to gravitate towards black singers and musicians. Excluding chromatic, of course, where I tend to favor the Jewish players.

smokey-joe...nuff said, I'm outa here. :)

   Sunnyside