Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

That's the truth Tom. It wasn't just the old New Orleans jazz outfits
that did it, though they made a real feature of it. I like people
playing along with me because it feeds me ideas and it doesn't feel so
lonely. 'Solos' as such can be a real bore!
RD

>>> "Tom Muck" <tmuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 14/03/2007 1:54:18 >>>
> Yesterday, someone posted a clip with Big Walter accompanying a
"star"
> singer. The poster commented on the tastefulness of his backing
licks.  I
> agree, but herein lies the rub of backing licks. How many of  us have

> heard
> players in a "backing" role - i.e. when someone else is  soloing or
> singing -
> and they just keep wailing away.

I see the exact opposite these days. In Muddy's band and other great
old
music, if there was a piano solo or guitar solo you would still hear
Little
Walter throwing down some tasteful licks -- everything is intertwined.

These days it seems when someone takes a solo every other instrument
just
drops out and the musicians just stand there. It becomes less musical
and
more of an instrumental showcase. I think all the instruments should
fit
together and work off each other.

Tom