Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

Yesterday, someone posted a clip with Big Walter accompanying a "star"
singer. The poster commented on the tastefulness of his backing licks. I
agree, but herein lies the rub of backing licks. How many of us have heard
players in a "backing" role - i.e. when someone else is soloing or singing -
and they just keep wailing away.

I see the exact opposite these days. In Muddy's band and other great old music, if there was a piano solo or guitar solo you would still hear Little Walter throwing down some tasteful licks -- everything is intertwined. These days it seems when someone takes a solo every other instrument just drops out and the musicians just stand there. It becomes less musical and more of an instrumental showcase. I think all the instruments should fit together and work off each other.

Tom