Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

On Mar 13, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote

I think that as band got larger and personnel changed more frequently, the intertwining thing, delightful though it is, became unworkable.

You, above all people should know all about that. I have seen you at countless conventions and every time you would have to play with a group that was put together on the spot. I often wondered how you would sound with your 'regular' bunch that you were used to 'breeding' off of.

It
requires a small ensemble who have the time (or the instantaneous and
unlearnable compatibility) to develop musical communication. Otherwise
it just turns to a tangle of competing noise.

Right, it's hard to put a group together where more than 2 people mesh. There's nothing like having a living breathing band. One where the members are on the same wave length.

As for the soloing and rhythming aspect. I feel that there 'should' be some comping in the background (however slight). I (basically) played with two groups. The one was led by about the 6th best B3 player I have ever heard. He doesn't want anyone on top of anyone's solo, except the rhythm section (guit., bass, drums, him). He plays a little too loudly considering he isn't the one soloing.

The other leader is a sax player and he has everyone do HARMONY parts. That's what HE wants. A full sound. Everyone but the soloist playing at lower roentgens, but STILL playing. p.s. I prefer the second group

smo-joe

Winslow