Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

Actually, you can observe the change in Muddy's band itself. When it
was just Walter, Muddy, and Jimmy Rogers at the beginning of the 1950s,
they intertwined. By the time I saw the band live in the '70s it had
gone to the trading thing, where instruments took turns - I remember
Paul deLay describing how it worked once in an interview - he initially
didn't understand it and ran afoul of the etiquette early on.

I think that as band got larger and personnel changed more frequently,
the intertwining thing, delightful though it is, became unworkable. It
requires a small ensemble who have the time (or the instantaneous and
unlearnable compatibility) to develop musical communication. Otherwise
it just turns to a tangle of competing noise.

Winslow

<snip>