Re: [Harp-L] good Chromatic choice

Yer a generous dad, Ed! IMO, Hohner is a good choice. The reeds are sturdy, and the warranty is excellent.

My recommendation would be the CX 12, in C. The price didn't go up on the black ones (the gold did, by a lot), so the price difference isn't as great between the CX 12 and the Super Chromonica (270). They're under $140 each at discount on the internet.

The CX 12 is easy to maintain, and I've yet to have a slide stick. The windsavers can be cantankerous, but that can be solved in a couple of ways. The most important countermeasure is to warm the harmonica before playing (very important!)

The alternative to a C harmonica would be one in Eb, if your son plays alto sax; because he reads music, he'll have a built-in repertoire. Or Bb if he plays tenor. For your composer son, I'd stick to the C, even though he plays trumpet. Guitar and piano trump the trumpet.

Flute was my principle instrument in music school, so a C fits me to a T. I own four CX 12s, a Super 64, a couple of Chromettas and a CBH 2016. But the CX 12 is my main harmonica (three Cs and a C Tenor).

Good luck, and let us all know what you decide on.

Tom