[Harp-L] Seydel Solist Pro (was Hohner Price Increase?)

In a message dated 7/13/2007 12:01:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, _Splash_
(mailto:Splash@xxxxxxxxxx)  writes, re the rumored  Hohner MB and SP20 price
increase:

>> I have a friend that works at  a rather large music
distributor/wholesaler. He told me about the price  hike >>and qouted me a $36.95 retail price for
Special 20s effective  sometime this month.

>All the more reason to switch to Seydel  Solist Pro's.

  Scott and all, many years ago I got away from the stock  leaky wood MB's.
Tho they've improved thru the years, I'm told,  I stuck mostly to SP20's.
  Last year I bought several Seydels thru Rupert Oysler -  the 1847 with it's
SS reeds, a Black Blues Favorite (black alum. comb.) and  a Soloist (not a
Soloist Pro).  All 3 models are better made harps,  beautiful, and are put
together with screws, not nails.  The 1847 and  the Soloist have beautiful wood
combs that look much like the top-of-the-line  LaVoie maple combs and I've been
told that they are sealed better than  the Marine Band Deluxe (which in itself
is a step up in quality from the regular  Marine Band).  The holes on the
Seydels, even the aluminum, are nicely  shaped, somewhat oval, and feel great to
the lips and tongue.  I tweaked my  Blues Fav. and Soloist so that they can OB
and OD all 3 octaves.  Now they  are prized possessions.
  I have had my Seydels one year and they are favorite harps  among the
several brands of harps that I own.  Altho the 1847 is the  nicest stock wood
combed harp I've ever seen, it's been said that the  SS reeds are hard to work on -
therefore i have yet to try since I have these  other harps tweaked to my
liking.  I would recommend these models  of Seydel harps to anyone.  The Soloist
seemed to be gapped a little  higher than the Blues Fav. but if u are going to
gap and emboss anyway,  they cost about half the price of the Blues Fav.
After tweaking, the  Seydel Soloist is better than any other brand of stock harp
that I  own.  They are just very nice harps, even to start with.
  I went to the Seydel website but it doesn't seem to tell - can u  tell me
what is the difference between the Soloist and Soloist Pro?  I see  the Pro
costs more.   Btw, it would be nice for us  Yankees if the Seydel website would
give the prices in US  dollars.
  Scott, have u tried the Delta Frost that is getting the recent raves  on
Harp-L, and if so, how do u feel they compare to the Seydel Soloist  Pro?

Ron - FL Keys