Re: [Harp-L] wanna be

On 1/15/2007 9:31:22 PM, tomeharp@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Wanna be's will stay wanna be's for ever.
>

> keep trying.

As you say, 'keep trying', but there's nothing to support your first
comment.  Many start out as 'wannabes' but later change focus and tap
into their own artistic values to create themselves as originals.

Influences play a part in all of us, but eventually, we must chart our
own course if we want to have conviction about our choices and, thus,
feel good about them.  I have to agree, however, if what you mean to
say is that those who only want to emulate a certain person's artistry
will never achieve it.

So far it's been true, for instance... 'Tribute Bands' can be great
nostalgic entertainment for many people, but they have never achieved
the quality, essence and popularity of the 'real deal'.  Does that
mean, however, that members of such bands are all 'wannabes'??  Not
at all... look no further than Rob Paparozzi, a harmonica player and
singer who's performed on a regular basis in a Blues Brothers tribute
band... truly no wannabe there, and in fact, is himself probably well
on the way to becoming the object of many wannabes!  I know I sure
wish *I* had the talent he's got!!

Oddly, to do as you said in closing, "keep trying", gives 2 results:
Try as a 'wannabe' is an exercise in futility; try to find your own
path in spite of your influences may truly take you somewhere new and
exciting.  But, to allow yourself the guidance of masters gone before
you is certainly no crime, and very likely worthwhile in defining your
own style, be you a harmonica player or any other musician.

Bobbie