Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Echo Harp

I have the (small) double sided echo as played by Richie Andrusco when he played the 7 year old Joey Norton in the movie The Little Fugitive. And no, these are not valuable

Rik writes:

"
My girlfriend went to an estate sale and found an old-appearing Hohner Echo.
I know these are still made, and have no idea how to tell a new one from an
old one. I guess, more importantly, I have no idea if they retain any value
either as a playing instrument, or a collector's item. The top cover plate
comes off quite easily. There are, of course, inscriptions, showing stamped
dates of 1893, 1925, and 1927. It is, of course, a wooden comb, and looks
as if it's been used (but not dirty). Frankly, I'm from the camp that says
that I won't blow anyone else's harp, let alone use their toothbrush;
however, blowing into it from a fair distance shows that it still blows.

Anyone know anything about this beastie, and its' potential value, either
monetary, or as a collectible, or both?

Thanks."

....Hi Rik....they show up fairly regularly on EBay. Prices can range up to
and above $50 or so for a larger sized double-sided Echo in very good
condition, and as low as $15 - $20 for the smallest sized ones...so it's not
altogether uncollectible.

Elizabeth