Subject: [Harp-L] Echo Harp

Rik writes:

"
My girlfriend went to an estate sale and found an old-appearing  Hohner Echo.
I know these are still made, and have no idea how to tell  a new one from an
old one.  I guess, more importantly, I have no  idea if they retain any value
either as a playing instrument, or a  collector's item.  The top cover plate
comes off quite  easily.  There are, of course, inscriptions, showing stamped
dates  of 1893, 1925, and 1927.  It is, of course, a wooden comb, and  looks
as if it's been used (but not dirty).  Frankly, I'm from the  camp that says
that I won't blow anyone else's harp, let alone use  their toothbrush;
however, blowing into it from a fair distance shows  that it still blows.

Anyone know anything about this beastie, and  its' potential value, either
monetary, or as a collectible, or  both?

Thanks."

....Hi Rik....they show up fairly regularly on EBay.  Prices can  range up to
and above $50 or so for a larger sized double-sided Echo in  very good
condition, and as low as $15 - $20 for the smallest sized  ones...so it's not
altogether uncollectible.

But it's rather easily cleaned...just needs dismantling, a sturdy  (reserved
for that purpose) toothbrush with 91% Rubbing alcohol...and lots  of time.  I
also use my Maas metal polish (it works equally well on  plexiglass) to remove
corrosion and rust from any metal surfaces  ..(including the undersides and
tops of harp lids....and have  polished mine to the degree they look brand new.
 The main issue is  whether the comb is intact, and looking fairly pristine
before cleaning  it...(yes, I use the alcohol on all of the wood surfaces and
haven't had  one warp yet).  If I was going to buy a possibly older Echo  such
as yours, that would be my only criteria (and the pins holding the  lids on
not having been lost).

Elizabeth