RE: [Harp-L] Re: Neil Young's harp

I've been a Neil Young fan for a long time. I just learned the Harvest
Moon short solo, it's such a nice sounding melodic fun piece and so easy
to play. To me, he doesn't have a great voice and isn't a virtuoso harp
player, but he always sounds so damn good, haha.

I thought I'd heard everything he has so many times so I didn't get the
new dvd "Heart of Gold" right away. That was taped at the Ryman
Auditorium in Nashville, just before he had the brain surgery. Then
someone got it for me. I now feel that this is the best of my entire
extensive catalog of live Neil Young footage. It's an emotional concert
and the interviews are so touching, he brought many of his friends from
his musical past together because he really was concerned that it might
be his last show ever. The sound and footage are just amazing to me. Run
out to best buy and pick it up for a holiday present. Although I still
love the rendition of Helpless on the Last Waltz DVD when he comes out
wasted with coke hanging off his 'stache, proceeds to screw up the
beginning of the song, then launches into an excellent version, with
Joni Mitchell silhouetted singing the backing vocals. That one always
grabs me. You're right smo-jo, when CSN tour without him they play small
theaters but when Neil is in the game it's the big stadiums. Not to take
anything away from CSN though, they've got their own impressive resume
and I like their stuff too. Love the old 4-Way Street album with CSNY.

I've seen him live many, many times. Went AWOL from the military when a
friend of mine got tix to see him and Crazy Horse in NYC for Rust Never
Sleeps, and that was the show that was taped for the DVD and album, I'll
never forget that one. Paid the price in brig time when I got back
though, heh.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA