RE: [Harp-L] Re: Neil Young's harp

My first introduction to the harp was about 25 years ago trying to figure out how to blow Neil Young songs in the neck-rack. He does some real nice first position stuff on Heart of Gold, Out on the Weekend, Comes a Time, and I am a Child. I'd say at least 95% of his playing is first postion but occasionally he'll whip out some decent 2nd on ya. On his Unplugged album, I thought he handled Mr. Soul pretty well playing cross with a G in the rack. Nice vibrato and bends on the 2 draw. About 8 years ago I saw ole Neil playing acoustic, and he did some mean train imitations( chugging, whistles) in cross in the neck-rack on a song called, Southern Pacific, while he was claw-hammer picking a six string banjo! I never heard him blow like that before . I actually had about 15 seconds to meet him and compliment him on this song after the show.
James

From: Jim McBride <jpmcbride@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Neil Young's harp
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:05:36 -0800 (PST)

Someone asked what would I change about Neil Young's harp playing. My answer? Nothing. To me they guy is a master at incorporating the harp MUSICALLY into his songs. Imagine Heart of Gold without the harp - there's no song left. The harp playing is just exactly right for that song.

What I like about Neil's harp playing is that its melodic and it fits the song. I walk away humming the harp solo after hearing the song. What more could you ask for.

Jim McBride

__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com _______________________________________________ Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx http://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l

Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live Messenger! Get it now http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://get.live.com/messenger/overview