Re: [Harp-L] Re: spot on bends

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Jim McBride wrote:

Smo-joe writes,
It's like Charley (McCoy) and I were talking. If you can't get the
various semi-tones spot on at any level of 'bentness' at will, you
won't get the 'call'. I would (personally) add: spot on meaning
within a reasonable amount of 'cents' (percent).

I was luck enough to see Charlie McCoy perform at the Birmingham Harmonica Festival this year and let me tell you, the guy definitely hits those bends "spot on".

THAT's where we were talking. He also has a 'winter' place down her in Ft. Myers (Fl).

Of all the great players I saw perform at the festival, he impressed me the most. To see a diatonic player play fast melodies and hit bends right on pitch is quite impressive. He doesn't hide those bends like I do :-) He exposes them and holds them right on pitch.

One of the few people I know who can do a convincing job on 'Ruby Gentry" THAT one is a real mouthfull (as far as held bends are concerned). He does put a quaver in on the word 'Like' (Ruby you're like a flame). I suppose that's to liven up what would otherwise be a hard to distinguish slide of only 1/2 tone between several other 'already' bent notes.

See, here's where a person can really cover a hard to hold multi-step slur combo. Sort of like with 'T.D.'s Boogie. In the first 12 bars, almost everything is worked off the #3 draw (the natural tone and ALL 3 steps). Pretty hard to get this clean. Especially at Boogie tempo.

Once or twice I could hear a slight waver or small timbre difference (well he is human after all - and the 10 hole has its limitations), but he never backed off the note. He just held it out there and kept it right on pitch. I was VERY impressed.

I guess it's all a matter of suction :)

smokey-joe / North Port Fla, (formerly Pgh)

He also gave a talk about his early days in the music business which was fascinating.

Jim