[Harp-L] Re: spot on bends

>Smo-joe writes,
  >It's like Charley (McCoy) and I were talking. If you can't get the
>various semi-tones spot on at any level of 'bentness' at will, you
>won't get the 'call'. I would (personally) add: spot on meaning
>within a reasonable amount of 'cents' (percent).

  I was luck enough to see Charlie McCoy perform at the Birmingham Harmonica Festival this year and let me tell you, the guy definitely hits those bends "spot on". Of all the great players I saw perform at the festival, he impressed me the most. To see a diatonic player play fast melodies and hit bends right on pitch is quite impressive. He doesn't hide those bends like I do :-) He exposes them and holds them right on pitch. Once or twice I could hear a slight waver or small timbre difference (well he is human after all - and the 10 hole has its limitations), but he never backed off the note. He just held it out there and kept it right on pitch. I was VERY impressed.

  He also gave a talk about his early days in the music business which was fascinating.

  Jim