[Harp-L] semantic limbs

The esteemed fjm wrote:

"Wow, quite a semantic limb you've gone out on Mr. Ross."

I don't think so. However, as you well know I do enjoy semantic, rhetorical and philosophical limbs, so perhaps I don't see them quite as easily as others.

fjm:

" If your goal is to play Ode To Joy with legato then diatonic harmonica would not be a good choice of instruments to play it on."

Actually, you can get a fairly good version in first position. Perhaps not as smooth as a violin, but quite acceptable for many instruments. I would say that if legato was the main criteria, a harmonica of most any sort wouldn't be my first choice.

fjm:

" Intonation is a huge issue with diatonic harmonica. Bent notes, open notes and overblows. It's also an issue with chromatic harmonica."

Agreed. However, it is less of an issue with chromatic harmonicas, if playing highly chromatic music is the criteria.

fjm:

" I could agree that currently nobody I am aware of that plays diatonic harmonica is capable of playing standard symphonic works at pitch in an orchestral setting. Not and meet the criteria of the orchestra's genre. Corky Siegel does play with symphonies but he plays a set piece that is not a standard symphonic work. I'm not convinced that this means that diatonic harmonica can't be played chromatically."

That is where I suppose we would disagree--if there are no examples of it being done, despite attempts over a fairly good period of time, then I think it's safe to conclude that it can't be done. I think the Siegel example is an excellent one of how the diatonic harmonica can be used in unusual and often complex musical settings quite successfully. However, I also think it is interesting to note how it is not being used in that context. I differentiate between being able to play the instrument in most genres and being able to play it chromatically. I would argue that the first is quite possible, the second not.

fjm:

" Every instrument that I am aware of has many severe limitations in terms of what can be played well on the instrument. Diatonic harmonica isn't special or unique in this regard. "

Not at all. One of my goals in these threads has been again and again to juxtapose exactly what you have written above with the often prevalent idea that the instrument has no limitations, rather that we players need to get around mental obstacles and magically anything will be possible. All instruments are limited. One thing about the diatonic harmonica, particularly with regards to more advanced musics is that these limitations are still being sussed out and a pedagogy developed. And part of that process is recognizing what does and doesn't work and in what context.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'