Re: [Harp-L] Re: Little Walter

There were players before LW who played horn lines, e.g. Robert Cooksey, Blues Birdhead and Rhythm Willie. LW combined jump blues and R&B horn sounds with distortion and it was really cool. Regardless of who played horn lines first, LW and T Bone Walker are the inventors of "modern" blues. A lot of people have had their own approach, but it's always been based on what LW and T Bone Walker did.

IMHO the solid state vs tube thing, given what signal processing can do, is a non issue. I'd be very curious to see what a double blind test of tube amp vs. solid state would show.

fjm wrote:

Chris, the signal processing added to the LW tracks occurred in the studio and was done by the recording engineer. While Mr. Jacobs was clearly a ground breaking player in the harmonica arena his innovation was more about the harmonicas role in the band. Meaning he played more like a horn player than anyone who came before him. His amplified tone being more an accident of the times he resided in and his acoustic tone than anything else.

Your objection to Sonny's conclusions is certainly valid in that it's a subjective call. Personally I wouldn't dismiss out of hand an amplifier set up that I hadn't ever heard or tried. I've never heard a solid state amplifier that really sounded like tubes to me but I don't completely dismiss the possibility that one could be made. Sonny seems like very much a process equals product kind of guy and in terms of replicating that certain mid 50's sound he sure seems to have gotten some things right in terms of the process. Me personally, I'm on a different road musically. I do play through a very small 4 watt tube amplifier but I use a rack mount digital effects processor on the input and I really love that octave thing Mr. Ricci uses on the Live Mexicali Blues download.

In praise of an amplified sound that originates in a solid state device I have to say Madcat's most recent sound is just amazing. I also have heard Billy Branch and Lee Oskar play through solid state amps and sound just great. fjm