Re: [Harp-L] Reed plate screws / tapping reed plates

At 03:49 PM 11/10/2005, John Kerkhoven wrote:
I've got a couple of stripped screwholes on Sp20 plates.
<...>
It's not a critical problem, because I seem to get a good seal all the same
with the available holes. Still, any suggestions for a remedy?

You might try using a center punch [like those found here: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/center-punch/BCX33 ]

Hold the punch perpendicular to the reedplate surface and tap the punch with a hammer, repositioning the punch by moving around in a circle around the hole to cause a circular pattern of dimples around the hole. This can cause the metal to be embossed [and this really IS "embossing"] inward of the hole, making it smaller in diameter. Your old screws should then have more purchase again [grip, that is,] when you reassemble the harmonica.

I'd also suggest doing this, if possible, on the side of the plate not coming in contact with the harmonica comb, in part to avoid and unevenness that might encourage airleaks between the surfaces. That should work... brass is pretty malleable.

An awl or small phillips head screwdriver, even a good sized nail can serve as a pretty good substitute for a center punch if you don't have one.

Good luck!
Bobbie