Re: [Harp-L] E-Bay and sniper programs

M. Erickson wrote:

No. You got a bunch of suckers in the "bid history", and then you have a
bunch of phantom bidders (using automated sniper programs, which place
their bids in the last milliseconds of an auction). It'd be OK if every
bid was kept secret and counted 1 second before the auction closed and
then the highest bid wins.

Instead a phantom can place a secret bid, unbeknownst to the suckers in
bid history, and then swoop in and pick up a special deal. The only reason
these sniper programs work is because there's a bunch of suckers who don't
know about them. If you had no "bid history" and no clueless fools
bidding, what goods a snipe program? Besides, E-bay makes no mention of
sniper programs. E-bay implies that all bidders are mentioned in the "bid
history". Snipe programs allows a 2nd secret auction to take place.

Now I know about them, and anyone who bids on e-bay should know about
them.

But maybe I complain too much. It is still possible to get a great deal on
e-bay (vocal mic's can be a steal, using "Buy Now") And today I picked up
a Bassman re-issue at a very fine price, and I wasn't sniped. Yeah, I
guess I do complain too much. Once you know about snipe programs, you can
take steps to deal with them.

It's not really like a phantom auction. Sniping software will place bids automatically at a predetermined time relative to the close of the auction. The only advantage sniping software gives anyone is when others bidding in the auction don't take advantage of the proxy bidding system and bid only whatever is necessary to have the current high bid. You can win an auction by placing one bid with a high maximum. Ebay will increase your bid automatically up to your max as others outbid you. The only way to lose an auction is not having the highest bid. It doesn't matter if the high bid was placed ten days (using the proxy feature) or ten milliseconds before the close of the auction. In case of a tie between a snipe and an older bid, placed using the proxy system the older bid wins. If you're outbid by a sniper and your max is higher than the snipe your bid will be increased automatically and you'll still win..

I get a kick out of sniping software, but I think the management features are probably more useful than anything else. You can keep track of the auctions you are interested in without being signed in to Ebay as long as you're connected to the Internet. The online sniping services will bid for you regardless of whether or not your computer is on.

The best plan is to decide what you want to pay and stick to it. Expect to lose auctions. As long as the item you want isn't unique, you'll always get another chance at one. The good thing about losing an auction is that the only cost you incur is disappointment.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly