RE: [Harp-L] E-Bay and sniper programs

No. You got a bunch of suckers in the "bid history", and then you have a
bunch of phantom bidders (using automated sniper programs, which place
their bids in the last milliseconds of an auction). It'd be OK if every
bid was kept secret and counted 1 second before the auction closed and
then the highest bid wins.

Instead a phantom can place a secret bid, unbeknownst to the suckers in
bid history, and then swoop in and pick up a special deal. The only reason
these sniper programs work is because there's a bunch of suckers who don't
know about them. If you had no "bid history" and no clueless fools
bidding, what goods a snipe program? Besides, E-bay makes no mention of
sniper programs. E-bay implies that all bidders are mentioned in the "bid
history". Snipe programs allows a 2nd secret auction to take place.

Now I know about them, and anyone who bids on e-bay should know about
them.

But maybe I complain too much. It is still possible to get a great deal on
e-bay (vocal mic's can be a steal, using "Buy Now") And today I picked up
a Bassman re-issue at a very fine price, and I wasn't sniped. Yeah, I
guess I do complain too much. Once you know about snipe programs, you can
take steps to deal with them.