[Harp-L] Re: Just Intonation and Difference Tones

Tim wrote:

>It depends on where your difference tones are coming from.  If
>they're coming from adjacent notes on the harp being played
>together, then the answer is yes.  But if the difference tones are
>coming from the difference between a single note played on the harp
>against a single note played on an instrument tuned to 12 tone equal
>tempermenet, like a piano or even possibly a guitar, then then
>answer is most likely no.

Tim, are you telling me that when you're in the audience (or on stage) you can actually hear
difference tones that are the product of TWO DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS playing simultaneous notes?
And you can hear these difference tones in the context of an amplified blues band?  Wow.

I'm lucky if I can hear the difference tones generated by my own harmonica.  I usually don't
notice them unless I'm playing amplified.  Which gets me back to my original question - am I
correct that the difference tones generated by a Just Intoned harp are more pleasing to the ear
than the difference tones generated by an equal temperament harp?

For those of you who may not be aware of difference tones, they're like phantom notes, and I
believe that harmonica is one of the few instruments that is really good at producing them.  I'm
no expert, but I know we've got some experts here (like Pat Missin) who can tell you all about
this phenomenon.