Re: [Harp-L] Re: Just Intonation and Difference Tones

Jazzman says:

am I
correct that the difference tones generated by a Just Intoned harp are more pleasing to the ear
than the difference tones generated by an equal temperament harp?

(I am not an expert, but this is what I understand from what I have read. Please correct me if I am inaccurate.)

Equal temperament chords are more dissonant than just intoned chords, they sound rough (example are Golden melody and pianos. Piano sounds fine to me, but GM does not. Harmony comes from frequencies waves that partly overlay each other. Dissonance comes from frequencies that don't quite overlap where they should.

When you divide things equally as in equal temperament, there is for some notes a slight error as compared to ratios that harmonize purely.

In the olden days, harmony was king (no tuners though, was inexact as done by ear). When keyboards were invented there was a problem because a tune could sound different when played in different keys because of harmonic compromises. So some math wizz figured out how to divide an octave exactly by 12 giving equidistant intervals and this sort of became the norm. Of course this fu.... up harmony in favor of individual notes. With respect to an orchestra this probably made sense.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>