Re: [Harp-L]you know who

I have never seen Popper live, I do not have his CDs. I went to this website and listened to some of his MP3s. I don't not know much about blues except that I find what I have heard to be very negative, "downer" type music. From what I have heard from other non-blues people (listeners and musicians) this is the general perception. Popper seems to have a more upbeat almost "Springsteen " style, and he seems to be a very capable player. Is there perhaps a bit of sour grapes here? That someone who is not
"true to the tradition" would be a success while all the "real" blues players are struggling.
Anyone ever heard of James Galway the Irish flute player. He has become wealthy and famous playing the flute, but he is "hated" by classical flute players because he "sold out" for money ( he plays Irish, Pop, classical and does it well, too), because he doesn't play pure classical and struggle for his rent money.It has nothing to do with ability. It is just that he has succeeded and they haven't.
Also, James Galway has probably gotten more people to listen to flute music than all the pure classical player together, because he presents it to the general public where they are, not where he wishes they could be. HMMMMMM?
As I said, this is just an observation from an outsider to the blues community. My interests run more to Irish, Scottish and Cajun fiddle tunes and some Old Time, Gospel and New Orleans Jazz.

Barbara
"Too many people die with their music still inside - Let it out!"
Strath an De' Farm
http://www.strathande.com
Coast to Coast Music
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/goto?pg=http:// coast2coastmusic.com/index.shtml&mv_pv=AFL3356