[Harp-L] Re: Boutique amps

Andy Vincent wrote:

"First- the obvious disclaimer - tone and chops are from the player,
of course!
I play for the joy it brings me, not for the gig money (maybe $4,500 last
year).

Third - I'm not a harp virtuoso... I don't overblow (in a musical
context),
couldn't play Roller Coaster note for note, etc. I play what I like
and many
people who have heard me like what I play."

Andy-

Your reply has made me realize I didn't write my piece well enough.

Firstly, let me say in my defense that my tone and chops are just
fine, thanks.

Secondly, I play for the joy it brings me, too. In fact, I play once a
month for free so my guys can make the money they deserve, but that
the club owner can't afford to pay them. (I don't think people should
 have to pay a cover to hear good music, so our pay comes from the
clubowner and me- not the door.)

I'm also not disparaging these amps- the opposite is true. I'd love to
have a Sonny Jr or a Meteor. I'd love to have one great working amp
instead of a bunch of unreliable, feedback- prone, under powered amps.
Furthermore, I don't think $2000 is enough to properly compensate
Sonny or Scooter for the incredible work they put into these amps.

My point is, I can't begin to get close to them financially. And I
don't think I'm the only one on this list who thinks this way. Unlike
you, Andy, my harps alone cost $70.00 apiece because they're
custom-built Marine Bands. I lost a C at a gig last week, and it
pretty much put me in debt for that gig. That's all- it's just money,
but money is real.

I'm not trying to put anyone down here (so please don't put down my
tone or chops, okay?), I'm mostly trying to figure out how who's using
them and how they afford it. A question that you ably answered, Andy.
I just wish you hadn't felt the need to imply that my tone or chops
need work. They do, btw, but that's between me and me.

Bret