[Harp-L] Braces and playing the harp

Jaime Writes: "Now for the question, do any of you have any experience with
having your
teeth straightened *after* learning to play the harmonica? What I'm
concerned about is that I would need to re-learn how to play, do those
fun 2 and 3 draw bends"

Jaime,

I got my braces off about a year 14 months ago.  While I had my braces (the
conventional wire ones) I did have some trouble with playing, mainly in
switching between pucker and tongue-blocking styles, which I so a lot.  The
insides of my lips would get really raw from being pressed into the metal
posts cemented to my teeth.  On one occasion, after getting an adjustment,
the lower row wire came loose on one side and while playing at a jam I
pierced my lip through.  There  was a lot of blood and I felt pretty stupid.
I was glad to get them off and my playing got a lot easier but I have to say
I did have to learn how to go about my  embouchure in a very deliberate way
and I think in the end it improved my playing.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh