Re: [Harp-L] Braces and playing the harp

I got my braces off about a year 14 months ago. While I had my braces (the
conventional wire ones) I did have some trouble with playing, mainly in
switching between pucker and tongue-blocking styles, which I so a lot. The
insides of my lips would get really raw from being pressed into the metal
posts cemented to my teeth.

I am surprised by Sam's post. Perhaps we play differently or perhaps its because I use TurboLids which are fat, but when I play, the harmonica is between my teeth and my lips go up and over the covers and are nowhere near my teeth (think of a chimpanzee smile). I'm a puckerer but use octaves and I don't see any real difference in my embouchure one way or another.

If you are concerned, your orthodontist can take 5 minutes and glue on a few braces so you can try it out. Make sure you let them know you will decide whether to get braces or not after you do this test. Those guys make a lot of money and should be willing to do this freebee to get a $5000 sale.

BTW my daughter had braces and looks fabulous now, so go for it.

I don't much trust new fangled things, make sure this new system works. I had braces when I was young and when they took them off I was given a positioner rather than a retainer. Sort of like a boxers tooth guard. Anyways I woud say bad idea. Stopped wearing as it was not very comfortable and my bottom teeth went crooked. Thank god they don't show much.

Last thing, wear your friggin elastics otherwise 2 years will turn to 4.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "samblancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx>