[Harp-L] cannonball adderly

The recent discussion about Butterfield included a post by fjm in regards to
"work song" and butterfield missing a note. i have loved the butterfield
since i first heard it, so i was wondering, "what's wrong with the way Paul
plays?"

I resisted posting this question until i dug up the original -- or at least
Cannonball Adderly's version, as the song is credited to "Nat" Adderly, not
Julian "Cannonball" Adderly.

And as that tidbit of information suggests, I have dug up Adderly's version.
And then a friend lent me another Adderly disk.

Holy Smokes! I chastised my friend for not lending me Adderly sooner.

The two disks I have listened to are "Cannonball in Europe" and "Cannonball
Adderly: The Capitol Years". There's a grooving Pop Staples song on "The
Capitol Years" called "Why Am I Treated So Bad". "Walk Tall" is another
treat. Both these albums are great from beginning to end.

And yes, Butterfield's phrasing on "Work Song" is not the same as Adderly's.

If you say "So What?" I suggest you listen to Adderly's version. If you have
listened to Adderly's version and still say "So What?" then we are at a
crossroads.

All the same, god bless Butterfield.

John