Re: [Harp-L] Fw: Re: Digest Number 2096 XB-40 and Jazz on diatonic

On Dec 11, 2005, at 4:09 AM, Ken K Kwok wrote:

A writer
complained that brand new golden CX-12 C- Hohner- won in recent jazz
contest in Fla was not good-8 draw slide in-B#. There is no B# in music
it is same as C.

Yes Ken, I am aware, BUT the notation can be used as a way of differentiating a 'sharped B' from a REAL C. It can be used to denote "hey, I want you to land on a B here and sharp it instead of landing on a true C." Reasons can be myriad. One is that it will put you in a position so that the next note is either easier to transition to. Another is smoother to transition to. Another is that it fits into a run better than switching to a blow note. Another is for speed.

Sure, a person could (and should) learn to do this by instinct, but in a case where you can't remember all the tunes you know by rote, and have to refer to a chart. it makes it easier (at least for borderline Altzheimers like me) :) I never saw a reason to USE a B# with any other instrument. It's the breath switching that seems to warrant it. p.s. I never said it was politically correct music structure. :)

My particular (or should I say peculiar) reason is that I use a lot of chipped notes. I use the slide to chip a B UP into a C, and since I started with a B in the first place, I consider it 'sharping the B'. Since the B is a draw note and I am STAYING on the same INHALE, I am merely sharping the B into a C on the same inhale.

 I tried 8 draw slide in on my Hohner 12 Chromonica.  It
works fine.

Yes, I see no reason why it wouldn't. I had never had this occur previously. In my case, the tuner swiped across the reed on a diagonal and 'smeared' the brass into the slot. The also took the 'Life' out of the reed and it sounded very DULL, HALF volume, and had NO 'carry'. Under the circumstances, since the harmonica was: 1..new, 2..NOT a cheapie, 3..my prize , 4..I DESERVED it for showing up, standing around for a couple days, paying for 3 nights in a motel, buying a ticket (which most DIDN't), and driving 110 miles each way, suffering $6.oo drinks and $9.oo sandwiches,
I wasn't about to start fooling with it myself.

   In the same way, there is no E# 3 blow.  It is F. You may
use this as a trick to play legato 3 or 4 notes in succession with draw
only.

Yes, what he said :) btw: it's just not legato, it's 'squiggles too' and a bunch of other stuff (see "Trisch Trasch Polka, by Strauss)

    Any way if I have problem with Hohner harps,  I wait till next
SPAH and Sissy or Fernando will fix the problems on the spot or send to
factory.  I am pleased with service.   Besides you will find experts to
help you at next SPAH.

There was a time when you could have shot me in the head and I would NOT budge from Hohners. This is no longer true. While I can't really say I have a problem with them, now, I'll give anyone a chance. (p.s. all 15 of my diatonics ARE spl-20s)

smokey-joe

Ken in Geogia

___

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by EWOL using Declude Virus]