[Harp-L] Fw: Re: Digest Number 2096 XB-40 and Jazz on diatonic

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ken K Kwok <kkkwok@xxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:51:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2096

     Several writers complained about poor quality control or problems
with Hohner harmonicas, especially XB-40.   I bought XB-40 in C  in 2003
when it first came  out at SPAH  Dallas.   I  asked RIck Epping and he
showed me how to bend.   It is easier to bend any note compared to any
other harp if you know how to.  I consider 10 hole diatonic or XB-40  as
incomplete music instruments since I can not play 2 octave scales from
hole 1 to 10. I find It is difficult to produce exact low Fand A notes
from bending 2,3 draw from any 10 hole diatonic or XB-40 and play sharps
and flats on the note while playing .  Rick told me that I had produced
perfect pitch F from my first try of bending  2 draw. but not A.   Any
one can bend any note at will but the problem is to produce exact pitch
sound low, F, A  and sharps and flats of  notes  in  major or minor
scales.  I stll have problems to produce exact note by bending and I am
not confident  and get frustrated since it is a hit or miss thing.
Chromatic is a perfect music instrument  designed for classical and jazz
without any bending  but it is doubtful to do this on diatonic.   I think
that diatonic is designed to play blues mainly with lots of  coloful bent
notes and unique sounds.  No other musical instrument can do this,
Therefore I am not sure if any can one play jazz or classical music on
diatonic with many sharps or flats on music score and get approval or
acceptance from musicians, pianist, music teachers, conductors.  Renowned
pianists refuse to play in concert if any key is slightly out of tune.
They always demand perfect pitch notes played.   If any note you play
sounds slightly out of tune, they will scream and   kick you out.   We
know several or many  harmonicists playing classical or jazz  with
chromatic and get praise or  acceptance from musician colleagues.   I
don't have problem with  my XB-40 qualitywise and some issue may be
related to the technique perhaps.  I am not an expert.  A writer
complained that brand new golden CX-12 C- Hohner- won in recent jazz
contest in Fla was not good-8 draw slide in-B#.   There is no B# in music
it is same as C.  I tried 8 draw slide in on my Hohner 12 Chromonica.  It
works fine.   In the same way, there is no E# 3 blow.  It is F. You may
use this as a trick to play legato 3 or 4 notes in succession with draw
only.     Any way if I have problem with Hohner harps,  I wait till next
SPAH and Sissy or Fernando will fix the problems on the spot or send to
factory.  I am pleased with service.   Besides you will find experts to
help you at next SPAH.         Ken in  Geogia