Re: [Harp-L] Subjective opinions

On 12/6/05, Dave Murray <dlmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Forgive me if I'm out of place saying this, but it seems odd to me that
> there is so much emotional attachment and reaction to opinions that are
> completely subjective. <Snip> So
> what? <Snip>

Dave,

Emotional attachment is part and parcel of musical enjoyment. And to loosely
quote Elizabeth, without differences, this world would be boring.

A lively discussion can be fun and enlightening. I personally love a good
argument, it challenges me, causes me to evaluate why I believe or feel
something.
The problem lies with how vehement one becomes in defense or attack. And
whether anything relevant or new is being discussed. Some of the threads on
this list can be a little long and devolve into the "I know you are but what
am I" level of exchange.
The limit, in my opinion, should be respect. Whether or not you agree, you
should respect a person's right to play or enjoy what they choose.
I am not endorsing the "Everything is wonderful, everyone is beautiful and
this all makes me happy." philosophy. But the point of a discussion should
not be to belittle a person or group of people.
The short version; express your opinion, just don't be mean.