Re: [Harp-L] Harp Jam Mic Sharing?

A reasonable concern, Andy. Recent studies suggest  you're more likely to catch a cold by shaking hands with someone  followed by touching your own nose or eyes.

  If it's your equipment, you make the rules for the use of it. If you're polite about it, who can object?

  A good idea is to have a few extra cheap harps for kids or drunks or  whoever  wants to play one. What about having a cheap extra mic,  that's just for sharing at jams?

  Richard Hunter recommends the Labtec am22 computer mic. I got one new online for $7. It's actually pretty good.

AV1901@xxxxxxx wrote:  I'm sure all would agree that sharing harps is a no-no for hygiene reasons.

I'm looking for some thoughts from the list concerning harp *mic* sharing.

Specifically, at electric blues jams when I'm in the house band, should I  be
squeamish about loaning my bullet type mic to another player? I've tried to
hold to a -yes, you can use my rig, but you've got to provide your own mic-
stance, and I've gotten strange looks at times from jammers.

Seems like when I got started going to jams many years ago I always made a
point to bring my own rig and never expected to use the house band's equipment
to play harp. Always felt like it made me seem better prepared and less like
a  drunk who happened to have a key of C harp.....

I know that when I play, it would not be unusual for a combination of sweat
& saliva to find it's way into contact with my mic.

As I write this I sit at home nursing a bad cold.....

Andy Vincent