[Harp-L] Steve Edwards' Biscuit Microphones

Several weeks ago I saw post from Stan  Ruffo which contained a glowing
review of Steve Edwards' "replicas" of  Astatic biscuit microphones . ("Model 30,
chrome plated, installed  with a Switchcraft screw-on connector and vintage
Shure controlled magnetic  elements. Comes with mic case," in Steve's
matter-of-fact  description.)

I was sick of the rigid sound and narrow  range of tonalities available (at
least to me) on the Mexican-made Green  Bullet, and desperate to change.  I
wanted a more responsive mike--and  preferably a smaller, more cuppable one, so
that I could achieve something  akin to the fully enclosed "sound chamber" that
big-handed dudes like, well, Big  Walter, were able to construct by engulfing
the mike comfortably within their  hands.  And just tired of having to
wrestle that Bullet into submission in  the middle of gigs, with sweat-drenched
palms and a distracted  soul.

As it happened, I didn't get the right  cable for the Biscuit until yesterday
afternoon, so my first chance to give the  mike a test-run was at an actual
gig.  Of course I packed the Bullet  as a fallback option--I learned many years
ago to keep one bullet in the  chamber, just in case...Man, was it
unnecessary.  Steve's biscuit  microphones--to call them "replicas" diminishes them--are
everything Stan Ruffo  said they were.  Wonderful sound--powerful enough to
cut through the usual  din of guitars, drunks, and drunken guitarists--but
still incredibly nimble in  the way they respond to small tweaks on your amp
(there's no in-line volume  switch, and if there was, the mike wouldn't be half of
what it is.)  They  are light to hold, but..."substantial" is the word that
springs to  mind.  They're also strikingly beautiful--the chrome-plating is
first-rate,  the structural design like something from a '40s film noir.

I feel like after a long, mostly happy  marriage to Shures, and this quickie
Mexican-wedding to the Bullet, I'm ready to  settle down with this "replica"
Astatic forever.  And I'm sure Mr.  Edwards' has more Biscuits in the oven, as
it were, so--particularly if  you've craved a great microphone that you could
cup with ease--I'd advise  checking them out at his website.  (INSERT Standard
Disclaimer  here.)

Peace and Respect
Johnny T