Re: [harp-l] Tongue (was throat) vibrato

----- Original Message ----- From: "MLeFree" <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 1:09 PM
Subject: RE: [harp-l] Tongue (was throat) vibrato

Yup again. I went back and studied Howlin' Wolf's vibrato, which I think is
from his throat. Wolf had the most pronounced and heavy vibrato I know of.
Very distinctive--I could pick him out in one bar. But, in listening to it
closely, it doen't sound like a vibrato but a tremolo. This is what I find
so intriguing about Chris' tongue vibrato.

Hi,
The Howlin' Wolf vibrato, like Cotton's, is really a combination of both throat a well as the diaphragm, and the hardest part of it to master is actually learning how to slow it down to the speed that they're doing it. Junior Wells' vibrato is more throat than diaphragm, but with an even slower vibrato than Cotton's, and that's the vibrato you hear on Muddy Waters' original recording of "Standing Around Crying."

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com