RE: [harp-l] Tongue (was throat) vibrato

Mojo Red  writes:
> --- MLeFree wrote:
> > ...I have a strong tongue vibrato that I've worked
> > to wrestle under control. My tongue vibrato
> > actually is more of a tremelo in that
> > the pitch really doesn't change...

> Just as an FYI, the tongue vibrato (or more
> properly the tongue tremolo, as you point out), is
> a ~very~ commonly used technique among the old
> timers in my harmonica club. It is achieved by sort
> of going "Oy oy oy oy" with you tongue, right?
> Personally I think it can sound kinda cheesy, so
> it's great that you're working at learning some
> better techniques.

Yup.  My tongue tremolo is very "thin" by any standard compared to Chris'
tongue vibrato.

> Chris' vibrato is to die for, and as he points out,
> is unique.

Yup again.  I went back and studied Howlin' Wolf's vibrato, which I think is
from his throat.  Wolf had the most pronounced and heavy vibrato I know of.
Very distinctive--I could pick him out in one bar.  But, in listening to it
closely, it doen't sound like a vibrato but a tremolo.  This is what I find
so intriguing about Chris' tongue vibrato.

> I've been struggling with achieving a convincing
> throat vibrato for all my harpin life. I've got it
> about half where I want it. (I want a vibrato like
> Steve Guyger's... Oh boy!).

OK, I have to listen closely to some SG then!

> My solution, so far, has been to combine my throat
> vibrato with a chin-wag vibrato. It gets me by, but
> meantime I just keep practicing getting my throat
> vibrato smoother and smoother. It hasn't been an
> easy thing for me.
>
> The hardest thing for me is the fact its subtlety.

I'm actually fairly pleased with my throat vibrato.  I just have to remember
to use it instead of my tongue tremolo which I revert to out of habit
because of my whistling, which I have done far longer than playing a harp.
I have to say that I am pretty pleased with my tongue tremolo, though I
definitely know what you are talking about.  It can be easily over-used.
That, plus the fact that it sounds so cool, is why I'm keen on Chris'
technique.

> Anyway, best of luck! Sorry I'll miss seeing you at
> the Mile High Harp Fest in Denver, but it just
> couldn't be helped.

There'll be another day...  8^)

Thanks, Ken

Michelle