RE: [Harp-L] Tongue (was throat) vibrato

--- MLeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<<snip>>
> I have a strong tongue vibrato that I've worked
> to wrestle under control. My tongue vibrato
> actually is more of a tremelo in that
> the pitch really doesn't change.
<<snip>>
> Since I am one of the few players I know who
> really use a tongue vibrato...

Hey Michelle,

Just as an FYI, the tongue vibrato (or more
properly the tongue tremolo, as you point out), is
a ~very~ commonly used technique among the old
timers in my harmonica club. It is achieved by sort
of going "Oy oy oy oy" with you tongue, right?
Personally I think it can sound kinda cheesy, so
it's great that you're working at learning some
better techniques.

Chris' vibrato is to die for, and as he points out,
is unique.

I've been struggling with achieving a convincing
throat vibrato for all my harpin life. I've got it
about half where I want it. (I want a vibrato like
Steve Guyger's... Oh boy!).

My solution, so far, has been to combine my throat
vibrato with a chin-wag vibrato. It gets me by, but
meantime I just keep practicing getting my throat
vibrato smoother and smoother. It hasn't been an
easy thing for me.

The hardest thing for me is the fact its subtlety.

Anyway, best of luck! Sorry I'll miss seeing you at
the Mile High Harp Fest in Denver, but it just
couldn't be helped.

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
---Li'l Ronnie Owens