RE: [Harp-L] Tongue (was throat) vibrato

Chris Michalek explained:
> I haven't conferred with Uncle Winslow yet, but I'm sure we'll be
> calling it active mouth vibrato.  :-)
>
> I don't know what tongue vibrato is.   I do know that very few people
> use the same type of vibrato as I do.  Not trying to make an
> "elitest" comment, I just haven't heard it...

Chris, I just listened closely to the samples on your web site and heard
your impressive vibrato (probably should have done so ~before~ asking my
original question as the difference is quite apparent ;).  I have a strong
tongue vibrato that I've worked to wrestle under control.  It serves me
well, but in listening to your MP3 samples, I found the answer to my
original question.  My tongue vibrato actually is more of a tremelo in that
the pitch really doesn't change.  In fact I've worked pretty hard to be able
to hold a steady tone while I create my tongue tremelo, as I'll start more
accurately calling it.  I can tell that your's is a true vibrato, with a
wavering tone.  Since I am one of the few players I know who really use a
tongue vibrato, this spurs a couple of questions.  I hope you don't mind my
exploring your beautful technique in more detail.  [Of course you have every
right to tell me to just "blow off".  ;]

My tongue tremelo is done the way I do it when whistling, which I am fairly
accomplished at (probably a better whistler than I am a harper).  I more or
less just "wiggle" my tongue to and fro like a piston inside my mouth.  I
apply it to what I feel is good effect like a singer would, increasing
towards the end of a held note.  Once I understood it I tried applying your
technique of a "series of little bends".  The first thing I noticed was the
tonal difference between my tongue tremelo and the actually wavering tone of
your technique.  Profound!  I don't think I'll totally abandon my tongue
tremelo, but I clearly want to develop a true tongue vibrato ala Michelek.
The second think I noticed was the difficulty of holding a non-bent target
note while applying ~my~ tongue vibrato.  Nice trick!  The third thing I
noticed was my inability to apply a tongue vibrato on notes that don't
normally bend--either blow or draw--but I am not an overblower/drawer.  As a
result, I am quite intrigued with your ability to apply your tongue vibrato
equally on ~any~ note.  Am I correct in deducing that it requires the
ability to overblow and overdraw?  If not, can you offer suggestions to a
non-overblower?  I can see that, even with the notes with which I am able to
apply my tongue vibrato, I need a good deal of practice holding the target
note as it is so easy to stray from it.  The best thing I can say about my
tongue tremelo vs. ~my~ tongue vibrato (at least at this point) is that I
can use ~it~ equally on any note.  I clearly have a long way to go with my
tongue vibrato.

Again, many thanks for sharing you obviously hard-earned and unique
technique and experience!

Michelle