Re: [Harp-L] Popper (was Ben and Frank)

On Sep 7, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Garry Hodgson wrote:

a lot of people like opera (or claim to :-) ). i don't. i appreciate the skill
and artistry involved; it just leaves me cold. sGarry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.

I can't think of a better way to explain this than that stated above. "Some people like opera: it just leaves me cold." Good example.
While living in Europe (govt. brat), my sisters and I were expected to attend MUCH consulate functions (which included too much opera). My sisters (17 & 18) thought it was cool, I (on the other hand), was 13 and thought it sucked the big one and would have much rather been listening to gypsies.
HOWEVER, I can sure appreciate the talent it took/takes to write this junk and for sure the singers are of the uppermost echelon of drawers. Pavarotti for example: The guy's voice goes through me like a poorly hastily made prison "shiv" and every time I hear it, I actually (it's true..I swear), get nauseous.

smokey-joe (p.s. I like the "other" two tenors just fine)